Wednesday, August 14, 2019

“I don’t believe in God.”


“I don’t believe in God.”

--------      ------- ------  ----

 

There was a pious gentleman.

 

He had the habit of never taking his breakfast until he finds someone to share it with him.

 

If  he can’t  find anyone in the morning he would wait until someone comes.

 

Sometimes he would be able to take his breakfast at eleven o’ clock; 


there were days when he had to pass on to his lunch without taking breakfast.

 

One day he could find an eighty years old sharer only at 11.50 a. m.

 

He sat at the table with his guest.

 

Breakfast was served.

 

When the guest was about to touch the food our gentleman said, “Please wait. We must say our grace first.”

 

The old man could not understand.

 

“What do you mean by grace?”

 

“Prayer before meals. We must first thank God for having given us this food.’’ 

 

“God? I don’t believe in God. If at all I must give thanks, it is to you. I will do it after meals.”

 

“Are you an unbeliever? How did you come into this world without God creating you? First believe in God before taking your meals.”

 

“No, I can’t.”

 

Our gentleman did not expect these words.

 

He got angry.

 

 “If you can’t, just get out. I can’t share my meals with an unbeliever.”

 

The old man got up and got out.

 

Our gentleman was very disappointed.

 

“ So, no breakfast today”, he said to himself and went to his room with an empty stomach.

 

He sat in his chair and took   the Bible to read.

 

When he opened the Bible, unexpectedly, Jesus appeared before him.

 

Our gentleman got up and knelt before Jesus.

 

“My Lord, how blessed am I to see you!”

 

“But why did you send your neighbour away without giving him food?” 

 

“My Lord, he is an unbeliever. How can I bear with one who doesn’t believe in you?”

 

“I know he is an unbeliever. 

But I have been feeding him and providing him with all his needs for the last eighty years. 

Can’t you share your meals with him just once? 

 I said, ‘Love your neighbour’; 


did I say ‘Love only a believer’? 


Your Father in Heaven is his Father too. 


I sacrificed my life for him too.”

 

“Sorry, Jesus. What should I do now?”

 

“Go, search for him, fetch him and share your food with him,”

 

Our gentleman got up without a word and went out in search of the unbeliever.

 

Lourdu Selvam

-- 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment